Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pilot Thoughts: 666 Park Avenue


There's a couple of reasons why it's taken me more than three days to do a write-up on 666 Park Avenue. One of them is just the sheer number of shows on that day. I didn't finish watching them all until Tuesday night! The other reason is because I have very mixed feelings with the pilot episode and just not much to say about it. The concept itself is pretty cool sounding. A supernatural luxury apartment building messes up with the lives of its unsuspecting tenants in the usual soul-selling-dead-people-resurrecting-trapped-in-a-wall-human-sacrifice-obsessive-stalking kind of ways. Oh and its owned by Terry O'Quinn and Vanessa Williams who play the mysterious married couple Gavin and Olivia Doran. They are the best part of the pilot episode and the show loses its spark whenever it strays from these two scenery-chewing characters. Rachael Taylor and Dave Annable, who play a young couple who is hired to manage this place, suffice to say are much less interesting though her burgeoning obsession with the history of building does provide some intriguing shades to the show and her character. My main concern though is the lack of scares. Perhaps it's just because I've watched way too many other supernatural/fantasy/horror stuff that I've just been so desensitized, but the show is seriously lacking in that respect. Of course, I get it. It's an ABC show. I'm not expecting American Horror-Walking Dead type of gore and frights. But maybe I was just a little bit. B-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!