Wednesday, March 30, 2016

So you think you're dead?

This post is part of Nathaniel's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" series in which the participants must post a single image from a movie he or she deems as the "best shot" for any particular reason.


Late posting this, but I couldn't pass up a chance to watch the supremely weird sci-fi fantasy film Zardoz starring Sean Connery in a red diaper. It's a fine pick so close to April Fool's Day because the joke is on the viewer as they're immediately greeted by a giant stone head floating in the sky not knowing that the movie will just get more surreal and confusing from that point.

The thing is, as oddball as the film is, it is visually rich with its lush environment, garish costumes, and trippy visual/light effects. I had a few options for my best shot and I certainly could've picked a lot of off-the-wall or flashy scenes, but I decided to pick something relatively subdued in comparison.

Best Shot

Connery's character Zed has just landed in "The Vortex" and is finally greeted by one of the Eternals who knocks him out telepathically. When he comes to, they confer by the side of the lake, her in her usual Eternal garb channeling the hippie movement and him in his usual Brutal Exterminator costume which I likened to a red diaper earlier. And if I'm being honest, as beautifully composed as this shot is, Connery's ridiculous costume is probably the main reason I picked it as my best shot. Because how in Oz did they ever convince Connery to wear this for almost the entire film? It's as confounding as the existence of the film itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!