Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Halfway Point of 2012

Can you believe that 2012 is halfway over? It always seems to sneak up on me, too. With that said, now is a good a time as any to list the films I've seen so far this year. Of course I'm only listing those movies that came out this year at least according to Box Office Mojo so don't be shocked to see films that had a one-week qualifying run at the end of 2011 to qualify for end-of-year kudos. I, however, won't be including the 3D re-releases of Beauty & the Beast and Titanic, which, yes, I did see.

Without further a due and in alphabetical order...

  • Albert Nobbs
  • The Avengers
  • Brave
  • Cabin in the Woods

  • Chronicle
  • Coriolanus
  • Haywire
  • Hunger Games

  • Joyful Noise
  • People Like Us
  • Perfect Sense
  • Prometheus

  • Rampart
  • Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
  • This Means War
  • W.E.

I'm actually pretty shocked that I beat my year-to-date tally last year. I really thought I've slacked off a bit this year. Oh well, blame Netflix I guess. Now I won't be ranking films until the end of the year, but it should come as no surprise to anyone that my favorite film from this list is Joss Whedon's The Avengers. I've seen it twice with The Hunger Games being the only other film on the list I've also seen more than once. Will The Avengers ultimately become my favorite film of the summer? It's a good question to mull about since for three years running my favorite summer film (Midnight in Paris, Scott Pilgrim, District 9) ended up becoming my favorite film of the year.

There are not many common themes to glean from the following films (feel free to correct me) except for Joss Whedon being god, people shooting arrows are the coolest, and Chris Pine needs to stop lying to cute blondes. And finally, here is the list of those actors who have appeared in two or more of the films: Michael Fassbender, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pine, Sigourney Weaver, Ewan McGregor, and Elizabeth Banks. And yes, I've only seen one Channing Tatum film this year and I think I'm MUCH better for this.

How many films this year have you seen? Any films I should've seen already? How many times have you seen The Avengers? How many Channing Tatum films have you seen so far this year? If the latter answer is more than one... why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!