Saturday, February 27, 2016

My Personal Oscar Ballot


The winners have already been tabulated and I'm sure they're already being printed into those envelopes for the big ceremony tomorrow night. And in this election year, I hope people took fully advantage of their voting privileges. So in that spirit, these would be my votes if I have an Oscar ballot. These are NOT my predictions.

Note:
For Best Picture, Academy voters are asked to rank their choices. For the other categories, they are only asked to pick their choice of winner, which is exactly what I've done.

Best Picture
1 - Mad Max: Fury Road
2 - Room
3 - The Martian
4 - Brooklyn
5 - Bridge of Spies
6 - The Big Short
7 - Spotlight
8 - The Revenant

Best Director: George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Lead Actor: Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Best Lead Actress: Brie Larson, Room
Best Supporting Actor: Sylvester Stallone, Creed
Best Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs
Best Animated Film: Inside Out
Best Original Screenplay: Inside Out
Best Adapted Screenplay: Room
Best Foreign Language Film: Mustang
Best Documentary: What Happened, Miss Simone?
Best Original Score: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Best Original Song: "Til It Happens to You," The Haunting Ground
Best Editing: Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Production Design: The Martian
Best Cinematography: Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Costume Design: Cinderella
Best Makeup and Hair: Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Sound Editing: The Martian
Best Sound Mixing: Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Visual Effects: Ex Machina
Best Live Action Short: Stutterer
Best Animated Short: World of Tomorrow
Best Documentary Short: Chau, Beyond the Lines

My favorite Best Picture nominee came out on top for me, obviously, with Mad Max: Fury Road getting 6 awards from me. I spread out the wealth after that with a handful of films I really liked getting a couple of awards each (Room, Steve Jobs, Inside Out, The Martian). Shockingly, Oscar front-runners The Revenant, The Big Short, and Spotlight all walked home empty-handed, which probably says a lot to how I'm approaching the big night. There's a few weird spots for me like giving Cinderella costume, Ex Machina visual effects and The Martian production design. So theoretically Mad Max: Fury Road could've gotten more from me, but again with spreading the wealth. I also largely avoided the sentiment of giving DiCaprio his first Oscars, because Fassbender is just that much better and Michael B. Jordan was sadly not nominated.

My thoughts on Oscar nominations are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!